The Municipality of Chester operates 46 kilometers of trail on the abandon railway from Martins River to Hubbards. The route connects our communities, serves as a safe off-road passage within our villages, and features some of the natural beauty of the South Shore.
Many kilometers of the trail have been upgraded to a crusher dust surface and this combined with the flat terrain make it ideal for easy travel. This is a multiuse trail so you should expect to see walkers, cyclists, Off Highway Vehicles and even horseback riders. In the winter you may come across people on snowmobiles, skiing and snowshoeing.
The Municipality officially opened the 35 kilometer Chester Connection Trail (Martins River to East River) on July 19, 2003. Shortly after, we took over the 11 kilometer Aspotogan Trail (East River to Hubbards). The Municipality has a Letter of Authority from the Department of Natural Resources, the owners of the land, to operate the trail.
Beyond Hubbards, the trail connects to The Rum Runners Trail. Click here to visit their awesome website!
The old rail bridges hold a special allure on the trail and there are 12 of them in the Municipality. The Gold River Bridge is the longest and highest span at 367 feet long and 56 feet high. Not quite as grand but equally as beautiful is the Middle River Bridge and East River Bridge.
The best way for all trail users to have a safe and enjoyable experience on the trail is to be polite and courteous to each other.
• Respect the trail and adjacent landowners
• Always be aware of other trail users
• Stay to the right when approaching fellow trail users
• Obey all posted signs
• Clean up after your pets and keep them on a leash
• Walkers can't always hear someone approaching from behind. A friendly "hello" or ding of your bell is appreciated
Off Highway Vehicles should always be extra cautious when meeting another trail user, preferably pulling over to the side of the trail and stopping while the other person passes by.
You are responsible for your own safety while on the trail; therefore, exercise caution at all times. Please keep in mind the following rules while using the trail:
• Motorcycles, automobiles, trucks, sport utility vehicles and amphibious vehicles are not permitted at any time.
• Maximum speed is 20km/hr by any mode of transport
• No person shall use the trail between 11:00pm and 6:00am of the following day.
• All pets must be on a leash.
• No hunting or trapping is permitted.
• No person shall have in their possession or discharge a loaded firearm or bow.
• No person shall have in their possession an unloaded firearm or bow unless permitted under the Wildlife Act.
In Case of an Emergency Call 911.
To report safety or maintenance concerns notify the Municipality of Chester at 902-275-3490.