Building & Development



Municipal Land use By-law

Chester Village Area Land use By-law

Building By-law #81

Nova Scotia Building Code Regulations (Provincial)

Nova Scotia Building Code Act (Provincial)

List of Issued Development Permits


Development Permit Application

Building Permit Application

Sewer Connection Application

On Site Sewage Disposal (Nova Scotia Environment)

Roadside Permit (Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal)


Community Development
186 Central St
PO Box 369
Chester, NS B0J 1J0

Building Services:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Development Control Services:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Development within the Municipality, including construction, renovation, demolition, or change of use, may require one or more permits from the Municipality. The permits you will need to obtain will depend on the location and scope of the project. Application forms for all permits are available at the Community Development Office at 186 Central Street in Chester, or can be downloaded from this website and dropped off at our office.


When you need a Development Permit:

A Development Permit concerns whether the proposed construction or change of use for a property is allowed by the Municipality's Land Use By-law, or the Chester Village Area Land Use By-law.

The zoning of your property will determine what types of development are permitted, and whether or not a development permit is required. Generally, more rural areas have less stringent requirements, whereas more built up areas have stronger development controls. For example, most signage or commercial operations in the Village of Chester require a Development Permit, even if no other construction work is taking place.

For some uses in some areas of the Municipality, a development permit will only be issued through a Site Plan process or Development Agreement.

If you are not sure what your zoning is, or whether you need a Development Permit, please contact Development Control Services at 902-275-2599, or visit our Community Development Office at 186 Central Street in Chester.

The current fees for processing Development Permit applications are:

$40.00 for projects of construction value of $5,000.00 or less
$60.00 for projects of construction value over $5,000.00.

Development Permit Application


When you need a Building Permit:

A Building Permit concerns how a structure is built, and is required in all zones, regardless of whether a Development Permit is needed. A building permit may be required for any construction projects in the Municipality, including:

  • New houses, relocations of homes including modular homes, mini homes, and mobile homes
  • New additions made to any home or building
  • Single storey garages or accessory buildings more than 215 square feet
  • Structural repairs or renovations
  • Material renovations exceeding $5,000 in value
  • Structures requiring power connection
  • Changes in the use of an existing building (i.e. single family residence to multi-unit residence or residential use to commercial)
  • Structure demolitions

Once a building permit is issued, building inspections will be required at various stages of construction. Once the final inspection is completed, an Occupancy Permit is issued to the property owner.

Building and Demolition Permits expire after 18 months. At this time, you will receive a renewal form in the mail. Sign and return the renewal form to the Office, and the Permit will be renewed for an additional 18 months at no charge.

If you are not sure whether you need a Building Permit, please contact Building Services at 902-275-3080, or visit our Community Development Office at 186 Central Street in Chester.

The current fees for processing Building Permit applications are based on the value of construction.

Building Permit Application

Additional Information on Building Regulations:


Additional Requirements:

In addition to the permits needed from the Municipality, there are other applications for provincial permits that may be required for your project.

  • A permit for On Site Sewage Disposal may be required from Nova Scotia Environment if an on-site septic system is being installed.
  • If you are in an area of the Municipality with Central Sewer, you may need to apply for a Municipal Sewer Connection.
  • If constructing driveway access to a public road, a Roadside Permit may be required from Nova Scotia Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal.