Exemptions and Rebates

Municipal Property Tax Exemptions

Do you qualify for a property tax exemption? You may if ALL of the following applies to you:

  • The total income from all assessed owners, including spouses and common law spouses, residing at the property, and total income from those persons who hold an interest in the property and contribute to the household income together is less than $19,000.00 in the 2015 calendar year.
  • Exemptions are only for residential property tax on the principal residence. Although all owners do not have to live in the residence, it must be a principal dwelling of one of the owners.

The application is an affidavit and must be completed at the Municipal Office. Proof of income is required. Please bring your Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada with you.

To view the form and Policy, please open the P-25 Tax Exemption Policy or call the Revenue Administrator at 902-275-3554.


Home Efficiency Rebate

The HomeWarming program is offered to qualifed homeowners in our area. If eligible, the Clean Foundation will conduct a free energy assessment of your home that will identify where energy is being lost. If they discover upgrades that will reduce your heating and power costs, they will install them free-of-charge!

Examples of available upgrades are heat pumps, insulation, draft/weather proofing, exhaust fans, air exchangers, windows and doors.

Complete an application if:

  • your combined family income is below
    • $21,186 (1 person living in home)
    • $39,367 (2-4 people living in home)
    • $56,064 (5+ people living in home)
  • you own a single-unit home in NS (and provide proof);
  • your home is your primary residence and you don't plan to sell it in the near future; and
  • you have not received previous upgrades from this program or the Low Income Homeowner Service.

If you meet this critera, you can apply online at or pick up an application at the Municipal Office in Chester. Complete the application and attach the most recent tax Notice of Assessment for each resident in your home who is 18 years or older. You will also need to attach proof of home ownership, such as your property tax assessment notice, property tax bill or the bill of sale (civic number and your name must be on it). Send your application to the contact listed on the form. Within three weeks, a HomeWarming representative will contact you.

HomeWarming is an initiative of the Province of Nova Scotia and Nova Scotia Power, administered by the Clean Foundation and Efficiency Nova Scotia. For more information, visit the Municipal Office to pick up a brochure, go to or call 1-877-434-2136.