Special Waste Collections
The Municipality offers three special or "bulky waste" collections per year in the spring, summer and fall. To make the most of your special collection, follow these guidelines.
- Items can be placed at the curb 24 hours before special collection day;
- They cannot exceed 50lbs in weight, 4' in length (except for furniture), and 46 cubic feet in volume (equivalent to 12 full garbage bags);
- Bags must be no larger than 31"x42";
- Put small items in a box or bag;
- Bagged garbage still has to be in clear bags;
- We will collect:
- large appliances (stoves, hot water tanks, dishwashers, etc.)
- furniture and mattresses
- metal (small car parts, lawn mowers with gas removed, etc. and be sure to keep metal items in a separte pile)
- SMALL amounts of wood (cannot exceed 4' in length, 50lbs in weight and must be bundled, boxed or bagged)
- SMALL amounts of drywall (cannot exceed 4' in length, 50lbs in weight and must be bundled, boxed or bagged)
- SMALL amounts of asphalt shingles (cannot exceed 4' in length, 50lbs in weight and must be bundled, boxed or bagged)
- up to 10 lobster traps
- We will NOT collect:
- electronics (click here for the list)
- tires (remove from rim and take to Kaizer Meadow or up to four to a tire retailer)
- household hazardous waste (click here to learn how to dispose of it)
- propane tanks (take to Kaizer Meadow)
- items containing Freon® (refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, etc.)
- large amounts of wood
- large amounts of asphalt shingles
- large amounts of drywall
|If you have more items than the special collection guidelines will allow, please remember that all items can be taken to Kaizer Meadow any time of the year for free up to 1,500 lbs to residents of the Municipality. If you have questions, please contact the Solid Waste Department at 902-275-2330.
Bagged leaves are collected in November (check the Waste Collection Calendar for dates). This is the only time that clear, plastic bags can be used to bag leaves. It is also the only time that an unlimited amount of bagged leaves will be collected.
During regular collection, yard waste (leaves, grass, trimmings) can go in your green cart. If your green cart is full, you can put up to three paper or certified compostable bags alongside your green cart each collection. ALTHOUGH, please do not put branches in the bag...tie them in 3' long bundles and place them alongside your green cart. Branches can go inside the green cart IF they do not exceed 2" in diameter or stick out of the of the top of the cart.
Christmas Tree Collection
Christmas trees are collected in January. Check the Waste Collection Calendar each year for the schedule.
Published: 11 February 2015
Created: 11 February 2015
Last Updated: 10 January 2017