Sewer Connection Issues

If you experience a strong sewer smell in your home or on your property, slow draining line, or your line is backing up and you are connected to the central sewer system, contact a plumber first to determine if the problem is within your plumbing system. If the plumber determines that the problem is in the connection line but beyond your property line, then you should contact the Public Works Office at 902-275-1312 to report the problem. We will contact the Supervisor and have the technicians come to the property to assess the problem.

If you see a flashing red light on a pumping station, please contact the Public Works Office at 902-275-1312. If it is after hours, call 1-888-664-6998 to report the problem. We will have a technician dispatched.

Municipal Sewer Service

The Municipal Sewers By-Law (#34) outlines the criteria for connections to Municipal sewers. Central sewer systems are located in Chester, Chester Acres, Chester Basin, Western Shore, Mill Cove and New Ross. If you are in an area serviced by a central sewer system, you need to complete an application. Please click the link below to our applications and forms to drop by the Public Works Office located at 151 King Street in Chester. Applications must be completed by the property owner and submitted to the Public Works Office for review and approval.

The property owner is responsible for all costs associated with the connection to the sewer main lines, and an area rate will be charged to the owner when the connection is complete.

To report back-up problems, line breaks or other sewer problems, please call the Public Works Department at 902-275-1312 or call 1-888-664-6998 after hours.

Please drop in to the Public Works Department to view the plans of the municipal sewer system.

applications-forms Applications and Forms