The Municpality of Chester employs municipal fire inspectors as required by the Fire Safety Act of Nova Scotia. The inspectors carry out a system of inspections on the following occupancies:
- Assembly occupancies - churches, community halls, licensed establishments, restaurants, theatres, arenas, gyms, museums, etc.
- Residential occupancies containing 4 or more dwelling units - apartments, motels, etc.
- Business and personal service occupancies - offices, banks and service shops
- Mercantile occupancies - stores, markets and retail outlets
- Industrial occupancies - workshops, factories, warehouses, repair garages, gas stations, etc.
The inspectors are responsible to ensure that these occupancies comply with the National Fire Code of Canada and are able to provide information on fire safety and fire emergency planning.
If your building falls within one of the categories listed above, you are required to have an inspection, please contact the Fire Inspector at 902-275-2599.
Fire Safety Planning
The National Fire Code of Canada requires that certain buildings develop and maintain a Fire Safety Plan. The Fire Inspector can assist in the development and/or maintenance of these plans and has prepared a Fire Safety Planning Guide (See under Related Documents). The Fire Safety Planning Guide helps people prepare or enhance their fire safety plan so that they meet the requirements of the Fire Code.
The following occupancies are required to have a formal fire safety plan:
- Assembly occupancies (any building in which persons gather, including restaurants, halls, gyms, libraries, churches etc
- Every building required to have a fire alarm system including sprinklered buildings
- Areas used for bulk storage
- Areas where flammable or combustible liquids are stored or handled
- Areas where hazardous processes or operations occur
If your building falls within one of the categories listed above, you are required to have a fire safety plan. For more information, please contact the Fire Inspector at 902-275-2599.