PRO Kids is Positive Recreation Opportunities for KIDS. It is a program that provides financial assistance to children and youth 18 years of age or under living in the Municipality of Chester who, due to lack of funds, are not able to participate in sport, recreation and cultural activities.
- Gives kids in the Municipality of Chester an opportunity to participate, rather than watch from the sidelines
- Builds confidence
- Promotes physical activity
- Improves health
- Builds leadership skills
- Builds self-esteem
- Develops friendships
- Provides opportunity to be part of a team
The criteria for accessing PRO Kids funding is:
- Recipients must be 0-18 years of age, live in the Municipality of Chester and, due to lack of funds, can not participate in sport, recreation and cultural activities.
- Applicants can apply for assistance with registration fees and equipment costs at any time of year, but approval will only be considered once per season.
- Recipients must be registered with an organized community group in order to receive financial assistance.
- Applicants must fill out an application form and submit the completed form to the Recreation & Parks Office at least three weeks prior to the start of the program. Please note, that late applications may not receive approval in time to start the program.
- Approval is based on a Reference System. Applicants must provide the name of a reference that is familiar with their personal and financial situation and who can verify that the applicant requires financial assistance. The reference should be an adult who knows the family (not a relative or close friend). (Examples of Reference: Social Worker, Clergy, Group Leader, Coach, Teacher, Doctor). If the applicant is a client of Community Services, they can get Community Service to stamp the application form and no reference would be required. The applicant will be contacted if any further information is required.
- Applications are processed on a first come, first serve basis.
- Applicants should hear the results of their application within 3 weeks of applying.
- Cheques for registration fees will be made payable to the organization where the child is registered.
~ Confidentiality of all applicants and recipients is protected. ~
We receive financial donations to sustain the PRO Kids Program from the following:
- Community Groups
- Granting Agencies
- Municipality of Chester
Community groups also assist by donating program space(s) and/or by offering PRO Kids a reduction in the registration fee.
PRO Kids has also been successful in generating funds through various fundraising campaigns.
Everyone who gives a donation to PRO Kids will receive an income tax receipt. Donation cheques can be made payable to "Municipality of Chester".
PRO Kids funding partners:
- United Way of Lunenburg County
- Canadian Tire Jumpstart
- Chester Municipal Council
- local businesses
- community groups
- fundraising events
We have many businesses, organizations, and individuals who have financially supported PRO Kids through donation, fundraiser, and equipment. We thank everyone profoundly for their interest, kindness, and generosity. You have changed a child's life! They thank you too...