Nominated by: New Ross Farmers Association
Marty is involved with a wide array of community organizations spanning many years. As a member of the Farmers Association, he worked hard securing grants for several major projects. Along with his wife Wanda, made possible a public walking trail on his property in memory of his granddaughter, for all to enjoy and he donates many hours of his time maintaining it.
Marty has many volunteer hats. Here are a few:
- He presently serves as Vice Presidents for the New Ross Farmers Association and a member for 10+ years.
- Member of the New Ross Trail Society
- Member of the Credit Committee New Ross Credit Union & Secretary
- Choir Member in the New Ross Baptist Church and does snow removal for the Church property.
- Member with the New Ross Gospel Aires and sings at nursing homes, etc.
- Board Member since 2016 for the Lunenburg County Christmas Tree Growers Association and Safety Committee
- He volunteers as Santa Claus each Christmas for the community, he does groups maintenance and presents a mobile display of the Christmas tree industry.
- He helps a disabled man in the community with life’s challenges (paperwork, social life, POA, arranging for special care services and living arrangement).
- He was a Trustee Church Memorial Park from 1987-1993 and secretary for 3 years.
- Secretary-Treasurer for New Ross Fire Commission 1985-2012 (made an honorary firefighter)
- Secretary-Treasurer for New Ross Health Coop circa 1992-1998 (to bring a Doctor to New Ross)
- In 2016 he wrote history of the Christmas Tree Industry in New Ross
- Cemetery Committee for New Ross Baptist Church
- Member of the New Ross Regional Development Society
- Volunteered writing a History of Graves Island (1994) when employed by DNR
- Citizen on Patrol circa 2000
- Science Fair Judge for New Ross School & Lunenburg County
- 4H Public Speaking judge for several years
- Helps serves suppers at the Forties Community Centre
- He and his wife ran the hamburger booth for 10 years at the New Ross Fair
- 2016 he organized a float for 100th Anniversary of New Ross inviting former Queens & princesses to ride on it
- Volunteered driving high school sports teams to games at various schools in the late 80’s early 90’s
- Mid 1980 he served on the Fire Department Ambulance Committee to try to get ambulance service in New Ross through HC Lindsay Funeral Home (unsuccessful)